- Wirral Greens will always work to promote social, economic and environmental justice and the well-being of Wirral residents.
- All our decision making as councillors will prioritise consideration of the climate emergency.
- We will work to oppose Government-imposed cuts to services and will fight against increasing privatisation of the NHS.
- We will promote healthy safe neighbourhoods through such measures as low-traffic neighbourhoods, safe school streets and 20mph residential zones.
- We will work to make all council services carbon neutral by 2030 and to deliver a programme of other measures to reduce Wirral’s contribution to climate change.
In addition we have a raft of more specific aims including:
ECONOMY AND FINANCE
- Investing in Green jobs training
- Council procurement contracts to prioritise the local jobs and local economy
- Disinvestment of council pension scheme from fossil fuels and industries or companies with poor employment, human rights or environmental practices
- An ethical council procurement policy which prioritises decent employers paying at least the Real Living Wage
- All housing to be retro-fitted with insulation, heat pumps and solar panels wherever feasible, with priority for lowest income households first
NATURE AND THE ENVIRONMENT
- All council services (directly provided or subcontracted) to be carbon-neutral by 2030
- Keeping verge-mowing and hedge-cutting to a necessary minimum to promote bio-diversity
- Protection of Green belt land and other green spaces
- Clampdown on fly-tipping
- Early intervention to prevent more children from going into care
- Reduce number of looked-after children in expensive out-of-borough placements
- Introduce of School Streets at as many schools as is practical
TRAVEL AND TRANSPORT
- Working for regulation of Merseyside public transport to ensure affordable, reliable user-friendly timetables
- 20mph speed limits in residential streets
- Borough-wide network of safe cycle and walking routes
- Secure cycle storage at all public buildings, car parks, rail stations, bus stations etc
- Enhanced enforcement of parking regulations
- All public transport and transport hubs to be disability friendly
- Low traffic neighbourhoods across Wirral